SKILL or SOBRIETY LEVEL?

Home Page Forums General Beer Pong Discussion SKILL or SOBRIETY LEVEL?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  gshunt 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Are you the kind of player that dominates because you’re a born natural? Or do you have to be at that EXACT state of drunk (9-10 shots + 10 beers + 3 more shots that some random old man bought you) to contend? Even the best of us (definitely not including myself) have lost to teams on fire just because they are flat out unconsciously drunk.

So in the end, what’s more important?!

jackal08

If I was keeping score of the only time I played…..I would be 4-1 overall. I was sober the first 3 games and pretty damn toasted in the last game. I did see one team that was so lit up, yet they were winning every game.

ecastro715

I need to be buzzing good. It’s when I get wasted that my shot goes to shit. I’m still not sure if I need those 4-5 beers for my shot to be on, or if I drink 4-5 beers during the amount of time it takes me to find my shot. But I usually try to maintain that buzz.

the727kid

I usually need just one warm up game either way. I’ve played some very high percentage shooting games sober and drunk.

Though I have played my best over all nights drunk (well if I wasn’t drunk something was wrong)

ecastro715

I usually need just one warm up game either way. I’ve played some very high percentage shooting games sober and drunk.

Though I have played my best over all nights drunk (well if I wasn’t drunk something was wrong)

For what it’s worth, Grady from Team America (gshunt) tracked his stats one night completely sober…I’m sure he’ll read this and give me the exact % but I think it was around 61%. The next night he tracked his stats after drinking 5 beers and maintaining a buzz and he shot 71%. Much better. Those numbers are close to what he showed me on paper.

I usually need 1 warmup game, but after that, I usually do pretty good unless it’s an off night. but then I keep drinking, keep doing good, then I just hit a fucking brick wall and I can’t hit shit. haha

juzam139

I think most good players will admit they play better with a little alcohol in them. I think alchohol overall makes people focus/concentrate more, and therefore enables them to make more shots because they forget about any kind of pressure and just hit cups.

Although, the good players can hit shots sober or drunk because if they’re anything like me, you can’t practice drunk all the time so you got cups full of water so you’re used to shooting on water cups and nailing 9 out of 10 there. Course there’s no pressure, but that’s what playing in tournaments are for.

thejway

For what it’s worth, Grady from Team America (gshunt) tracked his stats one night completely sober…I’m sure he’ll read this and give me the exact % but I think it was around 61%. The next night he tracked his stats after drinking 5 beers and maintaining a buzz and he shot 71%. Much better. Those numbers are close to what he showed me on paper.

if your downside is hitting 61% I’d say you’re in pretty good shape.

ecastro715

if your downside is hitting 61% I’d say you’re in pretty good shape.

Its a little bit different during a tourney when you’re waiting for 3 other people to shoot before you get to shoot again. But 61% being your worst, I agree thats not too bad at all.

gshunt

Well I can’t say I always shoot 61% as my downside. Especially since everyone inevitably has an off night where they throw like absolute trash (whether it be to overconsumption of alchohol, not focusing, other problems in life, woke up on the wrong side of the bed, whatever) and that night just kills your overall percentage. However, that is probably pretty accurate for how I shoot dead sober around my house if I’m not playing all that well or all that bad.

The stats in general Eric quoted are correct, but the sample size is far from ideal, it was more just to get a feeling as both Eric and Fat Kid felt like I played better somewhat drunk and should be getting to that point at tournaments more often. I ended up playing 15 games shooting from the 10 rack down with WS re-racks using one ball at a time, then going to pick up the ball/remove a cup. I did it over consecutive nights with 15 sober games one night and 15 games with roughly 5ish beers in me throughout the second night. 61%/71% is how the stats came out, but its only one night and I haven’t tried the experiment a second time, so the statistical significance is pretty much nil. That said it did seem to confirm Eric and Fat Kid’s perception in my mind.

All that said, it really comes down to how you play under pressure, and a little booze usually helps out with that, as its easy to make cups just sitting around at home but you have to step it up at a tournament.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.