Newsflash: Stop trying to make money off of beer pong!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  prusch 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

jeffbarnes

Seriously, unless you’re skilled enough and find enough people to win money off of in cash games, people need to realize there is not much money to be made off of beer pong.

Reading the threads about people’s checks bouncing and satellite codes not arriving and having tournament hosts not even reply to calls or emails just proves it. People get this idea in their mind to host a beer pong tournament and think it’s going to make them a ton of money, and they realize they don’t and it screws everyone over. I know Austin and Jim run MDBEERPONG and along with the SoCal guys I’m pretty sure if one of the most organized and well-run beer pong organizations and I know they probably make just enough to cover costs, if that. In a lot of cases, people are losing money. WPT seems to do pretty well also and I haven’t heard anyone ever complain about not getting what they were promised.

It’s sad to see people who think they will be getting a free trip to Vegas or Jamaica or whatever and then realize they’ve been “had” and end up checking the website for tournament updates because they aren’t there.

It’s not fair, but that’s what you get when you cater mostly to young guys 21-25 who don’t have the money to throw around. In most cases you have no idea who and how many will sign up for your tournaments because they don’t want to pay in advance.

Unless you have some really unique idea (Port-a-Pong comes to mind) something tangible you can regulate and make money off of, you’re not going to make money off of beer pong. And I have no idea how their business is doing, but I’m assuming it’s good enough they can sponsor the WSOBP.

Too many shady people have come in and screwed people over, and aside from BPONG, I can’t think of one beer pong “company” that has received positive reviews from its consumers.

Back when people still played on Bing Bong tables, even their customer service was horrible. I’ve never seen so many companies and individuals turn away so many people who had money waiting to be spent.

So bottom line, if you don’t know how to run a 64-team (or 32 team for that matter) bracket with random seeding, can’t guarantee a prize, or can’t deliver on a prize you guaranteed, don’t bother running a tournament because you are just wasting your time and screwing over the next guy who will make an honest effort.

This post sponsored in part by being screwed over by someone myself and in honor of everyone else who has been also.

grac112

Dude you need to blast the fools that screwed you over cause your definatly right on people not paying out thier fees, we have heard about it a few times. We took a $500 hit on our 1st big tourney and still sent the team up. 2 teams up from both of our big ones have been given thier codes on the spot!!! But when you have a great following and a demand then you start fucking people over you will lose it all. Good Luck with getting that prize money my friend casue it sounds like you really got screwed.

sfoster

I’m just going to add that bpong lost money throwing the world series last year

juzam139

Umm…what exactly happened? Jeff what tourney did you play in that screwed you? You might as well let us who ran it so we so we at least know who to stay away from in the future? Or was this some random cash game?

Jeff,

While I feel your pain at being screwed over by a shitty tournament organizer, the truth is that those kinds of shady practices can only last so long before the promoter/organizer/whatever goes out of business and moves on to screwing people over in a different industry.

Because of major news articles on the sport, people are recognizing the potential to profit off of beer pong. The best thing to do is to not enter any tournament unless if it’s run by a legit organization or bar. Remember the ‘World Pong Federation’? I feel bad for anyone that sent those guys money.

Any organization that is in this for the long haul will have to prove themselves over time. Honestly, our first tournament had 6 teams in attendance… six! And one of those teams was me and one was comprised of two of the divas that we hired. But, we still handed out a trip to Jamaica, our winners went, and they spread the word that we were legit. Since then we’ve seen attendance at tournaments that have topped 100 teams.

I feel kind of conflicted on this issue because I want to suggest that the best way to go about entering tournaments would be to only enter those hosted by reputable bars or beer pong organizations; but at the same time, we all want to see the sport grow, and if nobody supports ‘the little guy’, then it’s difficult for them to justify putting in the effort to host more tournaments.

I guess all in all, it’s probably better to enter as many tournaments as you can. If the organizer screws you over, just don’t enter any of their tournaments again (and make sure you tell everyone else the same). In reality, the worst case scenario is that you paid a little money to get some more tourney experience under your belt (and hopefully some beer).

-Peter
    http://www.worldpongtour.com

prusch

Unfortunately, the target audience for this post probable won’t read it. Peter made a good point about supporting whatever until they screw you….

I never get to play, so have to put up with garbage tournaments just to get my fix. Just being held hostage at a bar for hours on end because someone is incompetent at keeping tables full is frustrating in itself… but not getting paid out at the end is ridiculous. On one hand more exposure for competitive beer pong is good… on the other hand, if someone only has one experience with competitive beer pong and it is horrid, they might never want to come to another tournament.

dwissbrun2

i haven’t looked up the laws (yet) on what the obligations of a promoter are, and what constitutes a contract and breaking such a contract… however, if someone didn’t pay/give me what had been understood to be the prize when i handed over my money, then i would file a civil action against them in court. fuck that shit – i don’t work all week to hand my money over to assholes who don’t keep their end of a deal.

imunk0wn2u

From personal experience, it is very difficult to make money by throwing a tournament. I started up a beer pong business this year and unfortunately wasn’t able to put as much effort into as I would have liked due to working 2 jobs @ 70 hours a week, but I have thrown a few tournaments, and let me tell you it is tough. After about $1000 or so for tables, constant supply of cups, balls, etc, it is expensive but it is possible to eventually break even. The part people forget is advertising. Advertising is not cheap and MySpace and Facebook arn’t always the most effective way to advertise. So after spending all that plus an extra $1000 or more on advertising per tournament, you have to hope it brings in enough people to not only cover the prize money or whatever, but also your advertising so that you can at least break even. I was not that lucky, though I continue to try and throw tournaments. And let me tell you, it’s really hard to bring people in relying on MySpace and Facebook alone – you have to spend some money to get effective advertising in order to bring people in. Unless you’re someone like the WPT, who has a following (shit I’ve gone to 4 of theirs this past month or so with 3 more I plan to attend), who does a great job with their tournaments, it’s difficult.

I say instead of complaining about being held hostage in a bar and tables that arn’t full (you have to understand, sometimes you can’t just keep tables full because of the way the bracket works. Sometimes you’re waiting on one or two games to finish and if they take forever, nothing you can really do) be glad that their are companies out there trying to bring you competitive beer pong. Granted, the people who flake out on giving out the prize and screw people over should be shot and castrated, because it gives people like me, the WPT and others out there a bad name when all we’re doing is trying to do something positive for the beer pong community. It’s not about the money because it’s real hard to make money doing this unless you create an original product. Think of the WPT and how many trips they give away, their costs for those trips, the t-shirts they give you for free (which I’m sure they don’t get made for free), the gas from driving around NY, CT and NJ for months at a time, hotel stay, food, etc etc – I’m sure they make a little profit and why not? They deserve it after fronting all that cost to bring you guys a great tournament experience.

And for those shady fucks who ruin it for everyone else, I hope you choke on a ping pong ball.

dub

People can’t make money off beer pong? You’ll be eating your words (literally) when I unveil my line of chicken wing dispensing beer pong tables this coming year in Vegas.

The Bing Bong Wing Pong table.

tsilc

People can’t make money off beer pong? You’ll be eating your words (literally) when I unveil my line of chicken wing dispensing beer pong tables this coming year in Vegas.

The Bing Bong Wing Pong table.

lol, i want one of those bad boys.

pandemonium2

what flavors are u gonna have??

prusch

I say instead of complaining about being held hostage in a bar and tables that arn’t full (you have to understand, sometimes you can’t just keep tables full because of the way the bracket works. Sometimes you’re waiting on one or two games to finish and if they take forever, nothing you can really do) be glad that their are companies out there trying to bring you competitive beer pong.

Being one of the aforementioned people trying to grow competitive beer pong, I know how brackets work, and I know when I am being held hostage.

Tournament organizers playing a game on one table, and letting the only other two tables sit idle while they played their game is incompetent. Having 2/4 tables open in the first couple rounds of a 32 team tournament is not due to the ‘way the bracket works’.

I simply bring up the point that it is very easy to tell if someone running the tournament actually cares to bring people competitive beer pong, or if they are just trying to get their hand in the pot. People who do it just for money don’t know how brackets work, don’t care about rules, don’t run things efficiently, or have any respect for a fair draw.

Like I said before, I put up with crappy tournaments because I can’t play in my own. But it is frustrating to think that some douchebags are piggy backing off the work that legit people put into it, and are fleecing the same customers in the process, or maybe turning potential repeat customers off from the entire concept.

imunk0wn2u

I say instead of complaining about being held hostage in a bar and tables that arn’t full (you have to understand, sometimes you can’t just keep tables full because of the way the bracket works. Sometimes you’re waiting on one or two games to finish and if they take forever, nothing you can really do) be glad that their are companies out there trying to bring you competitive beer pong.

Being one of the aforementioned people trying to grow competitive beer pong, I know how brackets work, and I know when I am being held hostage.

Tournament organizers playing a game on one table, and letting the only other two tables sit idle while they played their game is incompetent. Having 2/4 tables open in the first couple rounds of a 32 team tournament is not due to the ‘way the bracket works’.

I simply bring up the point that it is very easy to tell if someone running the tournament actually cares to bring people competitive beer pong, or if they are just trying to get their hand in the pot. People who do it just for money don’t know how brackets work, don’t care about rules, don’t run things efficiently, or have any respect for a fair draw.

Like I said before, I put up with crappy tournaments because I can’t play in my own. But it is frustrating to think that some douchebags are piggy backing off the work that legit people put into it, and are fleecing the same customers in the process, or maybe turning potential repeat customers off from the entire concept.

Agreed.

tia010

Hi,
    Nice article!I enjoyed reading article and people’s comments.

Tia,
    Make Money

Make Money

Make Money

[url=â

prusch

I agree – jeff’s rant was well worded

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.